Business Licenses & Permits

Get more information about business-related licenses and permits and how to get one for your business. To obtain a business-related license or permit, please visit our offices, during normal business hours.

Contractor's License requirements:


     (a) Each builder or building contractor shall, before entering upon any   building or construction work subject to regulation by city laws, apply to the City Clerk for a builder's or building contractor's license and receive the same as hereinafter provided and have in his or her possession a valid license authorizing him, her or it to engage in the trade or occupation of a builder or building contractor in the city.

     (b) No permit for any building or construction work shall be issued for any such work to be performed by a builder or building contractor, as defined, who has not first obtained a license upon making a proper application and payment of the license fee as required.

     (c) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, company, association or corporation to enter into a contract or agreement with another so as to bring himself, herself, or itself under the definition of builder or building contractor herein, or to perform any work as a builder or building contractor or any work under a contract for any work involving the construction, wrecking or moving of any building, without first having obtained a builder's or building contractor's license issued by the City.


(a) Application for a builder's or building contractor's license shall be made upon a form to be supplied by the City, which shall disclose the name of the applicant, his or her place of business in the city (and home office if a nonresident), the kind of contracting work engaged in (as general contracting, roofing, siding, masonry, plastering, lathing, excavating, waterproofing, metal work, foundation work, sign hanging, cement work and painting and paper hanging, house wrecking or moving and the like), the length of time engaged in such work, and places where work has been performed within the past two years.

(b) The application shall be signed by the builder or building contractor or his or her authorized agent.  Such license shall be issued by the City Clerk, upon payment of the fees, proof of insurance and a copy of a city license is provided


(a)  The following license fees shall be paid for the calendar year or major fraction thereof:

     (1)  General Builder or Building Contractor, who shall qualify to

          engage in more than one kind of contract work, except house

          moving, the sum of $ 25.00;

     (2)  Sign Hangers and Panel Posters, the sum of $ 25.00.

(b) Each such license shall set forth the kind of contract work in which the licensee may engage.  The licensee shall display his or her license at any place where he or she may be engaged in contract work or produce the same on demand of any city officer.  All licenses shall be renewable annually as in the case of an original license on or before the first day of each January.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to contract for any kind of work covered without having a valid license issued by the city to perform such contracts.

INSURANCE: A builder or building contractor must procure and maintain a liability insurance policy in the amount of $1,000,000 for the death or injury of any one person and $500,000 for the death or injury of any number of persons in any one accident and $50,000 for property damage in any one accident. Some insurance company authorized to do business in the State of Kansas shall issue such policies of insurance.  A builder or building contractor may qualify as to the insurance requirements by filing a certificate with the City Clerk executed by the resident agent of such, company stating that the required policy of insurance has been issued by such company for the purpose required and that such insurer will not cancel the policy except upon giving 30 days notice in writing to the city, and that the certificate shall be filed for an annual period beginning January 1 and ending December 31 of such year.

If you don't see what you're looking for, give us a call and we will be happy to answer your questions.