To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall Community Room Rental

Does the city rent out the ELM Building?

No, the city doesn't rent out the ELM building.  Please contact Terri Ramsdell at 785-836-7284.


How much is it to rent out the community room?

The rental fee is $25.00 plus a security deposit of $75.00.  The security deposit will be withheld in full and payment for any additional damages and/or smoking upon the premises will be the User’s additional responsibility.  Upon written request to the Governing Body for good cause shown, the rental charge, and/or the security deposit may be waived.

What needs to be done to get back your deposit?

CleaningThe User is responsible for the cleaning up of all areas of the Community Room, kitchen, hallway and rest rooms used after the function has ended.  The cleaning must occur before vacating the building at the end of the rental period, unless other arrangements have been made. 

The security deposit will be returned only after the building and its contents and grounds have been inspected by a City RepresentativeIf any additional cleaning, repair, failure to return the key, or replacement of City Hall property is required, the entire security deposit will be withheld.  If the security deposit will not cover the additional work or costs involved, the User remains responsible for any additional expenses.


When are council meetings?

City Council meetings fall on the first and third Mondays of every month. If the meeting falls on a holiday, the coucil meeting will proceed on the Tuesday of that week. 

Council Meeting Dates - Meeting starts at 7:00pm at City Hall

Can the public come to council meetings?

Yes, the community is more than welcome to attend council meetings. 

Code Enforcement

Do I need to register my dogs in the city?

All dogs are required to be registered with the city. 
To register your dog you must bring proof of rabies vaccine to City Hall. Each dog tag is $10.00 for un-spayed/neutered pets and $5.00 for pets that are spayed or neutered. They are valid from April 1 to March 31 and must be renewed annually.
City tags are helpful if your pet happens to get lost, their tag number allows city hall to provide PD your home information so that your pet can be safely returned to you!

Do I need to register my ATV/UTV or golf cart?

The city requires any ATV/UTV or golf cart that will be driven in the city limits to bear a city issued tag. 
To purchase a tag you must have the vehicle inspected by a CPD officer and purchase your tag from the city office. 
Tags are $25.00 are valid from January 1 to December 31 and must be renewed annually. 

Are there ordinances about vehicles?

Vehicles parked in open areas of the city must bear current registration and be in running, operational condition. 
Junked vehicles are not permitted to be parked in open areas and must be contained behind a secure screening like a gated privacy fence to prevent access to the junked vehicle by children, thieves or other persons. You may store only up to 3 junked vehicles behind a secure screening per property.

If CPD officers believe a vehicle is in violation the property owner will receive a notice to show proof of registration/operation. If the vehicle cannot be stored behind secure screening or be registered and operational the owner will be asked to remove it. Failure to do so may lead to a citation, municipal court proceedings or fines. 

Are there ordinances about grass and weeds?

Yes there are! 
The city utilizes weed and grass ordinances to help prevent pest infestations, interest from potential criminals and safety or fire hazards. These ordinances are also intended to help keep our city looking it's best. 

If a CPD officer views a property in violation of these ordinances the property owner will be given a notice to remedy the issues within a specific time period. The officer will re-check the property after that time and if the property is in compliance then the interaction is complete. 
Failing to comply with these ordinances may result in a citation being issued, municipal court proceedings and even daily fines being assessed until the property enters compliance. 

Municipal Court

When is Court?

Court is held once per month on the 2nd Tuesday at 4:00 pm. 

What is an Arraignment?

An Arraignment is also known as a First Appearance. This hearing is when you may enter a plea of Not Guilty, Guilty, or No Contest. If pleaing guilty or no contest you may also make arrangement for a payment plan if needed for your case. If you wish to plea not guilty a trial date will be given to you and your case continued until that date. 

What is a Diversion?

A Diversion is an agreement between a court and a defendant. If eligible, a Defendant is given an agreement with stipulations like:

Have no further violations of the law, pay all fees and fines; and for some offenses the court may require evaluations or classes. 
If the Defendant agrees and completes the stipulated conditions then when the Diversion period of typically 6-12 months is completed the case is dismissed. 
Not all charges or Defendants are eligible for Diversion, If you are interested in more information make sure to ask the City Attorney at your Arraignment hearing. 

What if I need an Attorney?

The Court has discretion to provide a Court-Appointed attorney to some Defendants. If you are not eligible and need an attorney the Kansas Bar Association provides resources for finding an attorney on their website: Need to Find an Attorney? – Kansas Bar Association (ksbar.org

Where can I find resources for drug/alcohol treatment?

Find Drug And Alcohol Rehab In Kansas (addictioncenter.com)


Who handles sanitation and waste collection in the city?

The city contracts with Osage waste for all sanitation and waste collection services. 

Do I have to provide my own trash cans?

Yes, citizens are required to provide their own trash cans for collection. No sawed off metal or plastic barrels will be picked up. 

Who do I contact for large item pick-up?

Call Osage Waste at (785) 836 - 9392 to schedule pick-up for large items. They can tell you what items can be picked up and any additional fees required. 

Does the city offer recycling services?

There is no pick-up offered for recycling items.

City Utility Bill Extension Request

If an Extension is granted, are late fees still applied?

If the payment is after the 10th of the Month, late fees will still be applied. 

When are extension request due?

The form must be filled out before the 3rd Monday of each month to be approved by the Carbondale City Council.

Whose resposibility is it to confirm granted extension?

It is the resident requesting the extension to verify the approval. City hall will not contact resident after the council meeting.